Royal Mail has appointed Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd to deliver a major design and build fit-out contract to their Midlands Hub, the largest Parcel Hub at the RFI Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal (DIRFT).
Buckingham Group commenced the base build construction of DC5 at DIRFT III, the UK’s premier logistics / distribution development, in July 2020, under a separate design and build contract awarded by Prologis.
DC5 will provide Royal Mail with a BREEAM Excellent and Planet Mark accredited National Distribution Centre totalling c 840,000 sq.ft in the heart of Rugby. The Distribution Centre incorporates a single storey warehouse unit, multi storey car park, three storey offices, vehicle servicing unit, and rail siding/platform.
Buckingham Group has been appointed as the Principal Contractor for the following, which will be delivered in partnership with Royal Mail:
- Fit-out works to Cat B to the main and hub offices and warehouse, in accordance with Royal Mail’s Specification
- Co-ordination of Beumer, who have been appointed by Royal Mail to install the specialist automation system within the warehouse. Buckingham’s co-ordination role will be pivotal to deliver the required sectional completion / early access dates for the automation interfaces and high quality finishing works within multiple ‘zones’
Royal Mail’s critical driver is to have a fully operational and fitted out facility by their required ‘Go Live’ date in Summer 2023. Buckingham Group has committed to retaining the same Project Management Team that is delivering the base build, supplemented by a dedicated Fit-out Team, to ensure the Midlands Hub is handed over and is operational prior to the required ‘Go Live’ date. Once operational, the National Distribution Centre will allow Royal Mail to process in the order of a million parcels a day.
Building on the success from the base build contract, the fit-out works will be delivered sustainability to support Royal Mail’s commitments to community investment, delivering long last benefits for stakeholders, and delivering a cleaner future. The Project Team will undertake the works:
- To support the BREEAM Excellent and Planet Mark certification achieved for the building
- In accordance with agreed Social Value Themes, Outcomes and Measures
- Within a secure and controlled environment, with construction traffic, materials, and waste managed efficiently, to eliminate potential disruption to the wider DIRFT Trading Estate
Justin Watts, Construction Director, Building for Buckingham Group has commented on the success of the team in winning this unique contract: “We are delighted to have secured this contract with Royal Mail, which will continue the collaborative and trusting relationship we have developed with Royal Mail through the delivery of the base build of DC5 at DIRFT. We will provide Royal Mail with a first-class service through all stages of the project, with the works delivered in a safe, healthy and quality driven working environment. We are committed to providing a great facility for Royal Mail, and for the benefit of existing site at DIRFT, the environment and the economy.”
About Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd
With a company history spanning over 65 years, Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd is a major multi-disciplinary contractor with a turnover of circa £500 million. We are an established Principal Contractor providing a range of fully integrated, versatile and flexible services to Public and Private Sector Clients throughout the UK & Ireland. Operating from our Head Office, near Silverstone, and regional offices in London, Theale, Birmingham, Manchester, Warrington and Doncaster our services include:
- High quality Building projects (Offices, distribution warehousing and manufacturing facilities) to BREEAM Excellent
- Multi-storey and at-grade car parks
- Major civil engineering projects including highways, bridges and structures
- Major Enabling and Infrastructure works for development sites
- Railways and rail engineering
- Rail Stations including new build and refurbishment
- Sports stadia and leisure facilities
- Demolition and deconstruction projects
- The delivery of complex site remediation projects
For further information please contact:
Buckingham Group Contracting Ltd
Silverstone Road, Stowe
Buckingham, MK18 5LJ
Tel: 01280 823355